Friday, March 25, 2011

Mommy's Got Back...

...Problems!

Sorry for the month of blogging silence!

While visiting my family in Minnesota {including Fawnda (my sis) and Sherrie (my sis-in-law)--the other Mommy Tsunami writers}, I herniated a disc in my lower back. Can I just say, OUUUUUUCHHHHH!!!! I mean that junk really hurts! I have never had back problems before. It was crazy painful. Caused by an intense cough/sneeze. A freaking sneeze. I mean, really??? I wish I had a better story. But I don't. The doctor said it was probably weakened by a previous strain of my back, and the pressure of the sneeze just blew out my disc. Seems silly...but Totally NOT silly.

So, what was meant to be a fun family reunion ended up with my being hospitalized followed by over a week of being bed-ridden and loopy on pain killers and muscle relaxers (picture Paula Abdul on American Idol with narcolepsy). We ended up having to extend our trip an extra week, as I was traveling alone with my children (ages 2, 5,and 7), I could hardly walk, and I kept falling asleep mid-sentence.

When I finally came to, and regained use of my faculties...I had three main take-aways.

First, having a herniated disc SUCKS!!!!!!! So I am going to do everything in my power to keep that from happening again. I am going to strengthen my core, maybe start doing HOT Yoga. I am going to learn how to bend and lift properly. And I am never, ever going to cough or sneeze ever again for as long as a I live. Ok, that is obviously not possible, is it?? So, I guess I am screwed, aren't I? AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Second, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, worth watching on television during the day. I usually do not even turn on my t.v. during the day, unless I am in need of a little afternoon entertainment from Dora or the members of Yo Gabba Gabba. Some days I feel like I must be missing out on some great television show that I could be enjoying while laying on the couch eating my bon-bons. I was wrong. There are no worthwhile shows. NONE!!!! And I have never tasted a bon-bon, but I am guessing that they too might be just as disappointing after all the hype about them.

Third, "A parent's job is never done." My parents had to take care of me like I was a child again. My mom had to take another week off work to care for my children while I recovered. My dad had to drive me to the hospital and doctor's appointments. They both helped monitor my meds and waited on me hand in foot. And I kept thinking, "I am 35 years old, and my mommy and daddy are still taking care of me." And then I thought of my own children. I came to a new realization. A slightly scary realization. "This parenting gig is going to last a whole lot longer than I had originally anticipated. Like DECADES LONGER!" "Moooommmmmmyyy!!!!!!!"

But the good news is, I am feeling much better. MUCH better!! And ready to starting writing again.

Again, we apologize for the lack of posts over the past month.

Hopefully, now we are BAAAAACK! :)

1 comment:

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Hooray for being BACK! Now the rest of us have to get our butts in gear too! :)